Attic: The space between the roof and the ceiling.
Attics and Inspections
What's Hidden in the Attic?
Attics can be a daunting place; things that aren’t seen on a normal basis. We’re here to help because we know that the attic is something not normally seen.
When we inspect an attic here are a few things we are looking for:
- Supporting Truss or Rafter Damage: A roof inspection won’t necessarily show the defects within the structure of the attic. The roof might look secure and sound, but inside the attic, it is possible to find broken trusses or rafters, showing the truth behind its condition.
- Previous Fire Damage Noted in Attic Inspection: In some cases, the inspector will find that that the rafters are a color other than natural wood, which may tell you that the home sustained a fire at some point. In the case where the wood is black or scorched, a major fire likely occurred in the home.
- Adequate or Inadequate Attic Insulation: Your inspector may find that your new home is inadequately insulated. If this is the case, it could lead to higher heating and cooling costs. This might be a major factor in whether or not you want to purchase the home. Alternately, he may find that the attic is well insulated and that is also important information to have at hand when making these decisions.
- Water Damage: Having water damage in your attic can be expensive to fix. Since water flows from the top down, inspectors will look for staining on the wood supports or on the walls. This would be evidence that water has leaked or is currently leaking through the roof.
- Chimney Access to the Attic: Since you cannot inspect the interior of the chimney from the attic, your inspector will make a note regarding whether or not the structure itself is solid. To determine if the chimney is deteriorating from the weather, your inspector will look for cracks in the bricks and also whether or not the mortar has started to crumble.
- Squirrel, Raccoon, and Rodent Damage in the Attic: If your home is infested with squirrels, raccoons, or rodents, the first sign will be the telltale evidence of tiny poop pellets left behind. These animals will often enter attics through the eaves or loose boards and can cause considerable damage to a home.
When inspecting your attic , We will inspect and evaluate some of the above situations, but also consider the following:
o Evidence of Wood Destroying Organisms such as Termites
o Damp, upside down, loose insulation.
o Condensation, Evidence of Moisture and Mold or Mildew.
o Warped, cracked or damaged materials
o Wiring or plumbing problems
o Cracks, settling or shifting in the foundation
o Damage to the wooden supports of the door framing
o Presence of pests, vermin, and other animals
o Sufficient ventilation
o Quality and presence of vapor barriers
These are just some of the things that we will look for when inspecting your attic and crawlspace, and the things they are looking for in these areas often go hand in hand.
At American Dream Property Inspections, we know that every attic is different, and also to expect the unexpected. Our main goal is to provide you with all of the knowledge you need to make a well-informed decision.
As a first time home buyer making a significant investment, we needed to be 110% sure that the Real Estate Agent, the previous inspectors, and the builder himself were not trying to swindle us. Derek showed up at the property and did a very thorough inspection of the house. His knowledge and expertise went far beyond my expectations! Derek had the report ready for us right then and although we are still in the closing process - this report is our holy grail!!!!
Words can not express my gratitude to Derek for inspecting my future house. He was professional and was very thorough checking everything on the outside of the house, everywhere inside, the electrical, the plumbing, all of the windows and anything else you could think of, wean while, taking pictures of everything creating a report as he went... INCREDIBLE...
Derek Porter recently inspected a home for my husband and myself.Derek did an incredible job and was very accommodating,answering all of our questions and concerns as he went through the inspection. Derek's attention to detail and down to earth presence were comforting for my husband and me especially since this is our first time buying a home.Additionally.Derek worked with our busy schedule to make sure we could be present for the home inspection-great guy! 100% recommend!
Nothing but professionalism from American Dream Property Inspection. My wife and I are first time homebuyers and were nervous and had lots of questions on our home. We worked with Derek Porter and he made us feel comfortable and confident in our home. He answered all of our questions and made honest suggestions on what we can do to improve the particular area we were questioning.We definitely recommend this company, and particularly Derek if you want a great service. Thanks American Dream